Friday, September 23, 2011

44. Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen


I remember the first time I had this beer at a restaurant in Portsmouth NH after a day of golf. On that day it was one of the best beers I had ever tried and different than anything I had before. This was the first Hefeweizen and still is the best in my mind. When compared with the others I have reviewed this has a much more cloudy appearance as an unfiltered beer should have. Overall the aroma is great - taste is smooth and it is very easy to drink more than one. I was fortunate to find a 12-pack in a local grocery store and I would be surprised if they made it through the weekend. Be sure to drink this from a glass, add a slice of lemon and I am sure you will enjoy. Check out this video on how to properly pour a Hefeweizen (video link)- because it is unfiltered it is important to drink from a glass and swirl to get anything that settled to the bottom of the bottle. 
Pros: Easy to drink - great cloudy look and aroma
Cons:  Hard to find in Maine
Alcohol Content: 4.9% ABV
Calories: 156
IBU (Bitterness): 30
Rating: ★★★½☆

Brewers Website: Widmer Brothers
Brewers Description: Meet the beer that started it all. Our naturally cloudy flagship brew starts with the highest quality wheat. It's bold, clean flavor and pronounced citrus and floral aromas are what define American style hefeweizen. So pour yourself a cool, cloudy glass, finish with a lemon and enjoy the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment