Sunday, June 10, 2012

250. Penobscot Bay Brewery Winnah 2011

I visited Penobscot Bay Brewery last week and while I was there picked up the 3 beers they brew that I had not tried yet including the Winnah 2011 which is the beer that won the 2011 Home Brew Contest in Bangor, ME. The winner was Nate Engelbrecht and he was invited to the brewery to make a batch of his Rye IPA to bottle and sell. Penobscot Bay brewed another batch of this beer in recent weeks and is bottling one last time before the next home brew contest. I believe the beer will remain in their lineup under a different name and I hope it does.


Color is a deep orange almost brown with a thick off white head. Aroma has some citrus hops and plenty of sweet malts. Taste starts with plenty of malts and has a solid hop finish with some grapefruit and pine flavors. This is the first rye beer that I truly enjoyed and is very well balanced. Really enjoyed this one and will grab a couple more bottles the next time I am in Winterport. If you are interested in a bottle let me know and I will grab you one too as this will be gone soon. 
Pros: Very well balanced
Cons: 
Alcohol Content: 7% ABV
Calories: ???
IBU (Bitterness): ??

Rating: ★★★☆ 
Brewers Website: Penobscot Bay Brewery
Brewers Description: Not currently listed on their website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment