Sunday, June 24, 2012

262. Founders Red's Rye Pale Ale

I was not sure what to expect from this beer from Founders as the prior Rye beers I have reviewed were mixed with the option from Sierra Nevada being terrible and the Maine Winnah from Penobscot Bay being quite good. Fortunately for me this one ended up being very good. 


Color is a nice red with single finger head that sits there throughout the entire beer leaving nice areas of lacing on the glass. Lots of aroma coming from this one with some grapefruit and pine. Smells more like an IPA than a Pale Ale. Taste mirrors the smell with a very complex mix of malts, hops and spice. Very well balanced and tastes smooth going down. This is the best of the rye beers I have had to date and one of the top options from Founders. Of course I still have a KBS to review so I am sure that will take top honors as soon as I open it. 
Pros: Very well balanced
Cons: 
Alcohol Content: 6.6% ABV
Calories: ???
IBU (Bitterness): 70

Rating: ★★★★☆ 
Brewers Website: Founders
Brewers Description: Serious hop bitterness, along with an unyielding grapefruit bouquet from the Amarillo dry hop, balances the malty richness of four varieties of imported Belgian caramel malts. Pours a spectacular crimson with a creamy tan head. A generous addition of rye malt accentuates a spicy, crisp finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment