Saturday, April 7, 2012

209. Oxbow Funkhaus IPA

I picked up 3 growlers last time I visited Oxbow. One of them I sent out to Vermont in return for some Hill Farmstead, Heady Topper and a few others you will be reading about here soon. The other two I kept for my brother in laws birthday party. One was a Farmhouse Pale Ale which I previously reviewed here and the other was this growler of Funkhaus IPA.


The beer is a pale orange color with a slight head. Aroma has plenty of citrus and some earthy notes. Taste is excellent, hard to describe and not like most other IPAs as the hops are not as prevalent but they are certainly there. Funkhaus is an appropriate name for this one as it does have some "funk" to it. Drinks very easy for a 7.5% ABV beer and my brother in law and I both really enjoyed this one. 
Pros: Easy to drink and different than most IPAs
Cons: Only available at the brewery or on tap
Alcohol Content: 7.5% ABV
Calories: ???
IBU (Bitterness): ??
Rating:  ★★★★☆
Brewers Website: Oxbow Brewing
Brewers Description: 

Mash:  Pilsner Malt, Wheat, Aromatic, Light Crystal
Hops:   American
FermentationMixed Culture Primary Fermentation with Brettanomyces and Saison Yeast  
Flavor Profile:  Citrus, Herbal, Pungent, Spicy, Funk

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed you at Oxbow today. Arboreal is delicious. If you get a chance you should review Arboreal, sour beer aged in bourbon barrels is delicious.

    ReplyDelete