Wednesday, April 18, 2012

217. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

This is only my third beer from Sierra Nevada but I still do not understand why so many love this brewery. Maybe I am just spoiled by great beer from small local breweries that I cannot get into these national filtered options from the likes of Sierra Nevada and Blue Moon. These may be great options to transition someone from the mass produced Buds, Miller and Coors to something closer to craft beer but for me they just do not measure up. I like my beer cloudy, hoppy and fresh.


The appearance of this one is a nice orange with a thick white head. Aroma is minimal with some malts up front and light citrus/pine notes at the end. Taste is slightly bitter with a good balance of malts and hops but nothing too special. Maybe if I had reviewed this before othe pale ales from Maine Beer Company, Hill Farmstead and Oxbow I would have been able to give this one a better score but it simply does not measure up to these small local brewer options. 
Pros: Available everywhere
Cons:  Kind of bland
Alcohol Content: 5.6% ABV
Calories: ???
IBU (Bitterness): 37
Rating:  ★★★☆☆
Brewers Website: Sierra Nevada
Brewers Description: Our most popular beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, is a delightful interpretation of a classic style. It has a deep amber color and an exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. Generous quantities of premium Cascade hops give the Pale Ale its fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor.

“Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the flagship beer, the one that made Chico famous. It is a flawless beer that opens with bright, perky high notes of maltiness and orange blossom and segues into a delectable hoppiness.”

– Elaine Louie, Premier Beer—A Guide to America's Best Bottled Microbrews

No comments:

Post a Comment